Inspiration for this snack cake – which is really more of a quick bread in consistency, with lots of moisture from yogurt and oil – came from chocolate covered strawberries. The star ingredients are chocolate chips and tangy strawberry pieces, but my favorite part is the crunchy layer of shredded coconut on top. Chocolate is the dominant flavor here, but if you prefer it the other way around, feel free to add more strawberries.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake
1/2 cup oil (I used olive oil)
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup high-quality dark chocolate chips (mini chips are ideal)
1 cup strawberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup plain, full-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
Unsweetened, shredded coconut, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9-inch round baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix oil, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in baking soda and salt.
3. Stir in flour until just incorporated, then add strawberries and chocolate chips (be careful not to over-mix.)
4. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle a generous layer of coconut on top, so that batter is no longer visible underneath.
5. Bake for around 35 minutes, until batter is set, coconut is golden brown, and a fork or cake tester inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
6. Let cool in pan, then remove and slice. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.