Made from partially whole wheat challah dough, these light, fluffy rolls contain hidden swirls of pureed olives (I used Kalamata, a Greek variety) and a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan, which becomes slightly crisp in the oven. The rolls are delicious served with slices of Gouda or cheddar, or a little goat cheese or feta.
Olive Parmesan Rolls
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup olives, pitted
Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste, for sprinkling
1. In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, salt, sugar, and yeast. Stir in warm water, olive oil, and eggs until smooth.
2. Add all-purpose flour a half-cup at a time (you may not need all of the flour,) stirring until a soft dough begins to form. Directly in the bowl or on a lightly floured work surface, knead until smooth and elastic (the dough should spring back when poked,) adding more flour as necessary if dough is too sticky.
3. Place in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size, around 45 minutes. Meanwhile, place olives in the bowl of a food processor and blend until still somewhat chunky or smooth, depending on preference.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface, and divide evenly into 8 pieces using a bench scraper or knife. Flatten each piece into a thin rectangle. Spread each rectangle with a thin layer of olive puree, or spread with a thicker layer if you don’t mind some puree ending up on the surface of the rolls. There will be leftover puree, which makes an excellent dip.
5. Roll each rectangle lengthwise to form a rope. Shape each rope into a coil, tucking the ends underneath. Transfer to a baking sheet. Cover with a dish towel or plastic wrap, and let rise for 20 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. When rolls finish rising, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, to taste. Bake for around 21 minutes, until golden brown and the bottoms of the rolls sound hollow when tapped. Cool directly on baking sheet. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yields 8 large rolls